[arch-general] Subpixel antialiasing

Vladimir Nikšić vniksic at gmail.com
Sun May 24 08:52:25 UTC 2015

Hi guys!

I've done a pacman -Syu this morning. The upgrade went fine, all the key
components are working properly, except a slight issue I'm having with
chromium. Chromium no longer obeys the subpixel antialiasing, but instead
has a basic AA mode, without the subpixel hinting. This of course results
in ugly letters across the board. What's even more weird, other
applications seem to have it normally, like firefox, xfce4-terminal, etc...

I'm using xfce4. The settings > appearance had subpixel disabled, but once
enabled chromium still didn't obey the subpixel hinting. I don't understand
what has changed exactly with chromium, and how do I set it to have
subpixel once again.

I went through here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration#Subpixel_rendering
but I can't really find anything pertinent to my case. Any ideas anyone? :)