[arch-general] "error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback"

Jeffrey Tolar tolar.jeffrey at gmail.com
Sat May 30 20:03:52 UTC 2015

On May 30 2015  19:49, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback
>error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback
>error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback
>error: unknown encoding UTF8: using iso88591 as fallback

It looks like that might be an error from hunspell [1][2]... Are you by
chance using a non-standard dictionary?

>From my (brief) experimentation, it looks like a malformed affix (.aff)
file will cause hunspell to generate that error. (There might be other
causes.)

To find suspect system dictionaries:

$ find /usr/share/ -name '*.aff' -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep "UTF8"

I don't think hunspell looks in your home directory for affix files, but
it wouldn't hurt to also run that command on your home directory.

If you find a suspect dictionary (affix file), the top line probably
reads "SET UTF8"; change it to "SET UTF-8". (If you got the dictionary
from somewhere else, tell them to fix it, too.)

See also: hunspell(5), hunspell(1)

[1]: https://searchcode.com/?q=%22error%3A+unknown+encoding%22+%22using%22+%22as+fallback%22
[2]: http://sourceforge.net/p/hunspell/hunspell/ci/master/tree/src/hunspell/csutil.cxx#l5807

--