[arch-general] Long-term offline Arch system

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 08:54:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Aron Widforss <aron at antarkt.is> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going out for a four month hike next spring, and will not bring my
> loved XPS with me. It struck me yesterday that being offline for four
> months is something pacman and yaourt might not like. How do these
> programs handle long-term stasis, will things break horribly when I come
> back and run an update? Is there anything I can do to avoid it?

For that period of time, I'd do one of two things.

If I had a proper system backup, I'd just update when I came back, and
hope everything works (best case assumption). This doesn't take much
time unless you're on a really slow connection.

If I didn't have that (or the space for that) I'd just do updates
using the archive a week (at most) at a time. Simulate weekly updates,
basically. Should be really safe.

Oh, and have a great time!