[arch-general] Rerun bootloader from initramfs

Jayesh Badwaik archlinux at jayeshbadwaik.in
Fri Nov 20 17:57:19 UTC 2015

On Friday, November 20, 2015 05:46:18 PM Mauro Santos wrote:
> Not really, BIOS is old and it doesn't know anything about OPAL drives.
> I don't know about UEFI machines but I suspect not many know about
> SEDs/OPAL either.
By BIOS, I meant UEFI, sorry about that. My UEFI is from 2013 (Dell Latitude)
and it knows enough about SEDs. I use SSDs and I use Hardware Based Encryption
with it (Samsung 850 Evo).

> On the other hand, you don't know what kind of treatment the BIOS would
> do to the password before sending it to the SED, one bios could send it
> plaintext, others could send key scancodes, you don't want to get
> anywhere near that kind of nonsense. This would mean that you might not
> be able to unlock the disk if you move it to another machine.
That is something I have never paid any attention to. But I can set a password
through the linux's hdparm utility, and then you can unlock it from the the
BIOS and vice-versa. So, I think that makes it standard enough, but not sure.

--
Cheers
Jayesh Badwaik