[arch-general] how to remove template service from systemd

Łukasz Michalski lm at zork.pl
Wed Oct 7 11:43:44 UTC 2015

>>vboxvmservice at A.service - VBox Virtual Machine A Service
>>     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/vboxvmservice at .service; enabled;
>> vendor preset: disabled)
>>     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2015-10-01 12:02:49 CEST; 4
>> days ago
>>   Main PID: 15101 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>>
>> How to mak systemd forget about this service? I checked
>> /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ and there is no link for my
>> service.
>
> If you change, add or remove service files:
> $ systemctl daemon-reload
>
> And you may need to stop the service as Florian wrote.

systemctl disable is not making this service disabled. The first call to
"systemctl disable vboxvmservice at A" removed a link from
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ correctly.

daemon-reload does not help.

I suspect that reboot will get rid of it but on server I would not like
to reboot just because systemctl shows failure of non existent service.

Regards,
Łukasz