[arch-general] glibc-2.22-4?

Ian D. Scott ian at perebruin.com
Mon Oct 12 02:17:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 09:00:38AM +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> Was just doing an update, and saw glibc-2.22-4. Updating that gave the
> following error:-
> [2015-10-12 07:43] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] bash: loadlocale.c:130:
> _nl_intern_locale_data: Assertion `cnt < (sizeof
> (_nl_value_type_LC_COLLATE) / sizeof (_nl_value_type_LC_COLLATE[0]))'
> failed.
>
> This totally hosed my system, so I had to download the ISO and downgrade.
>
> However I can't seem to find glibc-2.22-4 anymore, not even on
> www.archlinux.org. Did I have a compromised mirror, or was it simply a
> mistake in pushing? For reference, I provide my top-most mirror
> (generated from reflector months ago) in case that's useful:-
>
> Server = http://archlinux.polymorf.fr/$repo/os/$arch

I had the same problem.

I had a fun time fixing that by scp'ing a staically linked busybox over
using another system, decompressing the old package with that, using
machinectl shell to gain root access, and then running pacman with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to where I decompressed the package to restore it.  But
then, I didn't even have to reboot!

Note to self (and others): keep a statically linked suid root copy of
busybox handy.