[arch-general] pulseaudio, systemd --user and session problems

Karsten Rode karsten.rode at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 12:57:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have a problem I think is related to the startup of a systemd user
session.  I noticed lately that pulseaudio does not automatically start,
although I can start it form the command line later with

$ pulseaudio --start

After digging around I found that pulseaudio should be started by the
systemd user session, so as a first test I did

$ systemctl --user

which gave

Failed to list units: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1

From what I recall, there are some conditions that has to be met in
order for user sessions to work, and the output of

$ loginctl show-session $XDG_SESSION_ID

contains (among other things):
Remote=no
Service=lightdm
Desktop=xfce
Scope=session-c2.scope
Leader=1118
Audit=0
Type=x11
Class=user
Active=yes

Does anybody have an idea of where o look for further information ?  As
you can see above I use lightdm as the display manager.

--
Karsten