[arch-general] Can't login after upgrading ncurses but not bash (partial upgrade)

Nick Andryshak nandryshak at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:05:50 UTC 2015

Hello, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation, which is the result of me being
an idiot and not knowing how to use Arch even after years of using it.

I reinstalled ncurses with pacman, which I assume gave me ncurses 6 and
removed ncurses 5. But I didn't upgrade bash (or zsh), I guess is still
linked against 5, because when I try to login I get this error:

$ ssh me at xyz.com
Last login: Mon Oct 26 08:56:59 2015 from x.x.x.x
-bash: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot open
Connection to xyz.com closed.

I can't use sftp either. Oh, also, this is on a vps, so I don't have
physical access to the machine.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks,

Nick