[arch-general] iptutils 20150815.1b5d03a-2 and ipv4-only system

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:25:03 UTC 2015

On 10-09-2015 11:06, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 14:46:25 -0600
> Leonid Isaev <leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 08:04:37PM +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
>>> afaik
>>> disabling ipv6 with a kernel boot flag is not recommended and one
>>> can expect breakage...
>>
>> Why? Where is it written?
>
> I'm sorry, I can't find the links anymore.  Maybe it's outdated info.
>
> Archwiki warns about possible breakage with individual progs though.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv6#Disable_IPv6

It warns about possible breakage if you leave the ipv6 line for
localhost in /etc/hosts, nowhere in the wiki it says that you can have
breakage if you disable ipv6 and do everything right.

On the other hand, if one uses networks that are ipv4 only I'd say it is
better to disable ipv6 because when leaving it enabled sometimes it
causes hard to track connectivity problems.

--
Mauro Santos