[arch-general] race condition when upgrading the new ncurses package

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:29:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:04:34 -0400, Eli Schwartz wrote:
>I don't think the login shell was affected, just an error when the
>post_upgrade function failed to call install-info.
>
>Your login shell should be reloaded when you log back in.

No, since I read the mail of the OP before the update was available
here, I tested it, because I was curious, since nothing was mentioned by
the news. After installing gptfdisk and readline, there was no
way to login or to systemd-nspawn from another install. I needed to mv
back the old ncurses libs, before I could continue.

>As for AUR packages, if they need to link against ncurses then they
>need to be rebuilt. Leave a comment on those packages that they should
>receive a pkgrel bump so they are rebuilt against ncurses 6.0

I will do so, assumed I've got time to do it, unfortunately not today.
I removed the version 5 libs from my install, so soon or later
something I'm using might be affected.

I just run pacman -Qi ncurses and noticed that at least one package that
is installed is affected, but I'm not using it at the moment:

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ packages mutt-sidebar
Repositories
aur/mutt-sidebar 1.5.24-1 [installed] (Out of Date) (115)
    Small but very powerful text-based mail client
aur/mutt-sidebar-hg r6486.0d346dc8dccb-1 (1)
    A small but very powerful text-based mail client

Installed
local/mutt-sidebar 1.5.24-1
    Small but very powerful text-based mail client

There might be other packages too, but I've got no time at the moment to
check all of them. mutt-sidebar already is flagged.
"packages" is a script ;), just the output "(Out of Date)" matters.

Regards,
Ralf