[arch-general] race condition when upgrading the new ncurses package

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Sep 19 09:53:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 17:28:58 +0800, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
>Hi
>
>On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf
><ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
>

>> However, installing just a few packages instead of all packages needs
>> to be done, if the Internet connection get interrupted too often to
>> make a complete upgrade in one step. So a note by the Arch news IMO
>> still is useful.
>>

>Pacman downloads all packages before installing any of them. So if you
>have a bad Internet connection then you'll be stuck at the first
>(download) step. It will not leave your system in broken state.

Yes, that's true, but I don't know when my ISP will fix the issue. Last
time they needed several month to fix it, so I needed to update by
installing just a few packages. It's also correct that this time I
could install bash, readline, ncurses and few other packages in one
step and the other > 100 packages one after the other. Anyway, one
still needs to be aware about a chicken-and-egg problem. Interrupted
Internet connections are not that seldom nowadays in Germany,
https://allestörungen.de/, e.g. my provider:
https://allestörungen.de/stoerung/o2
It might be not that much of an issue in other countries.