[arch-general] Arch Forum problem

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 20:39:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Rafael Fontenelle <rffontenelle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Thu, 24 Sep 2015 14:15:22 -0300
> > Rafael Fontenelle <rffontenelle at gmail.com>:
> >
> > > I believe it is missing a ' in the end of the string, after letter g.
> >
> > Ack, simple copy+paste fail.
> >
> > --byte
> >

> I can't blame much on the end-user, as the question in the Register form
> has a tricky " next to ' ... See below:
>
> What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"?
>

> Rafael

Maybe *that's* the anti-spam measure :p

Maybe it's a tricky " but anyone should be able to tell simply by looking
at it that that is an unbalanced quote. Both from the command string and
from the result -- showing the ">" (PS2) is an obvious sign of a badly
typed command.

Or the OP could have searched and found the following stackechange answer:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/172570/why-does-bash-display-instead-of-executing-my-command

CTRL+D would complete the command (rather than killing it offhand) -- and
warn the user:
bash: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
Which also should be more than clear enough.

All good signs to take a closer look at the question.

--
Eli Schwartz