[arch-general] automount failure usb storage

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Apr 5 16:54:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, 05 Apr 2016 16:33:08 +0000, message wrote:
>Automount has seemingly failed today. The udev wiki
>(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev) doesn't make sense to a
>weak novice like me. Other advice please?

The culprit likely is GVFS and not udev. If you have an external green
drive connected, you anyway should remove GVFS, since it wakes up
sleeping drives without reason and since this happens continuously, it
will extremely shorten the lifespan of the drives.

Automount on the Xfce desktop most likely is done by Thunar, so perhaps
you should check the settings,
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/using-removable-media#managing_removable_drives_and_media.
Perhaps this does help,
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144494.

Note, I didn't read those links, those are just hits from a
https://startpage.com/ search.