[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Andrew Ridgway ar17787 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 02:30:44 UTC 2016

There have been a few bugs reported about the gtk 3.20 theming issues[1]

and in those bugs it mentions that there is a fix upstream that we
just have to wait until it trickles down[2]

It seems that 3.20 requires themes to update something (not sure what)
and this is the problem

Get on to the people who produce your themes to make them compatible with 3.20

I have found avoiding gtk3 where possible atm is helping. I am using
the aur version of firefox that is compiled against gtk2 and it seems
to be working better (also less memory so I may actually continue to
use it when this is all done)

This is the fun of Arch isn't it? - we are the bug finders!

[1]https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48853;
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48855;
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48783
[2]https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?h=gtk-3-20&id=6144b2276c7298040c080f85ffa83afbe1257c54