[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Mon Apr 11 13:56:39 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:07:56 +0200, Martti Kühne wrote:
>I'm sure you could tell the difference there.

Yes, I can, but I don't know against what to file bugs. GTK3 apps
default to grotesque window sizes, don't remember region settings
inside the windows, became unreadable due to invisible text, e.g.
Firefox' "Clear recent history" could be readable or it could be empty,
it even is always the same, if I open the dialog. GTK2 apps have font
rendering issues and e.g. Claws editor window's subject field doesn't
allow to position the cursor at some positions. Since I launch several
scripts by a menu inside roxterm, it's breaking my workflow, if the
default size is insane small. Perhaps it's a vte3 issue, since it also
gets upgraded, OTOH it's based on GTK.

However, even a restless look, by unnecessary lines isn't fun for me,
regarding dyslexia letters and words are already moving around and/or
shift to coloured bars by my perception, so I really need a clean GUI
layout. GUI layouts with all kinds of lines and bars and shadows and
light reflex, intrusive colours could stress me. It's not just a matter
of taste for me.

You should reckon that within the next days more users will experience
issues, they'll consider being serious issues. More people will
upgrade, more people will reopen apps or restart their computers. It
might take a while before all the drawbacks and regressions rear their
ugly heads.