[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Apr 13 14:23:31 UTC 2016

After installing fontconfig I didn't notice an issue for Claws,
Roxterm, SpaceFM and a few other apps. It was the other way around. For
testing purpose I reinstalled the new Adwaita again and the fonts for my
GTK2 apps didn't become that disgusting again, as the fonts for GTK3
apps are. However, the new Adwaita is totally broken for GTK2 apps.
This can be noticed by users who have a lot of GTK2 apps installed, e.g.
spacefm-gtk2, instead of spacefm. For this very reason I stay with the
outdated theme. Using the outdated theme seems to have no side effects
for GTK3 apps yet.

I don't know if it's related to the GTK things that were upgraded or to
fontconfig or to what ever else. Sometimes, but not too seldom I run
xfw and very seldom I run xfe. Both don't use the fonts anymore I
once upon a time chose. Instead of IIRC monospace, they use exotic
fonts nobody ever would chose for this kinds of apps. IOW it's not that
monospace was replaced by another kind of monospace, it was replaced by
really, really exotic fonts.

It's a PITA that even users who don't use GNOME, KDE or similar crap
nowadays get broken environments, because even apps that are not from a
bloatware DE break.

Reminds me of Bill Hick talking to people who are in advertising or
marketing. "No really, there's no rationalization for what you do, and
you are Satan's little helpers, OK?" This seems to fit good to some
upstream developers too.

Maybe this is asking for DDoS attacks against GNOME :D.

SICR