[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Thu Apr 14 17:52:40 UTC 2016

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:37:13 +0200, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>gtk3 since 3.18 or so got much slower as well and for each
>and every window that is drawn it first shows a black rectangle
>before the widgets appear.

Hi Carsten,

I'm using a GTK2 and GTK3 version of Rodent [1], if I open a directory
that contains many files, the GTK3 version takes very long, that long,
that it is completely unusable, while the GTK2 version works without a
performance issue.

OTOH, I notice the performance issue you described for Evolution, but
not for the GTK3 version of Roxterm [2], so it seems to depend on the
app using GTK3, but not necessarily on GTK3.

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
# pacman -Qi librfm5|grep Des;pacman -Qi librfm5|grep Depe|cut -d" " -f15
Description     : Rodent file manager library
gtk3
# systemd-nspawn -q apt-cache showpkg rodent|cut -d" " -f24|grep -v ^$
libgtk2.0-0

[2]
# pacman -Q evolution roxterm
evolution 3.20.1-1