[arch-general] GTK2 GUIs became a PITA after upgrade

Carsten Mattner carstenmattner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:07:18 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf <silver.bullet at zoho.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 19:52:40 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:37:13 +0200, Carsten Mattner wrote:
>>>gtk3 since 3.18 or so got much slower as well and for each
>>>and every window that is drawn it first shows a black rectangle
>>>before the widgets appear.
>>[snip]
>>I notice the performance issue you described for Evolution, but
>>not for the GTK3 version of Roxterm [2], so it seems to depend on the
>>app using GTK3, but not necessarily on GTK3.
>
> Oops, I'm mistaken, as soon as a Roxterm window shows a little bit
> more, e.g. 'Preferences > Edit Current Profile', the black box is shown
> too.

With all the stuff Gtk3 is doing, maybe it should be GNOME-exclusive
and let everyone else continue using what has been working properly,
albeit without HiDPI, if you need that.

I also checked gtk3-widget-factory as found in arch stable (3.20),
and Raleigh is totally broken. No custom theme, just selecting
Raleigh as theme (engine) and menus are totally broken.
I didn't try in GNOME, but I use Gtk3 because apps use it,
not because I want GNOME. Of course, this also means I had to
port my colour-customization Raleigh theme again, but it's equally
broken as the built-in Raleigh theme. I'm not even mentioning that
I found no way to configure scrollbar buttons as I do in my gtk2 theme.

Qt5 has a 30MB base overhead for any app (window), but
it didn't break randomly from Qt4 to Qt5 for the apps I use
it in.

I have no idea what's going with Gtk3, but I never once had such
issues with either Gtk1 or Gtk2. Strange new world...