[arch-general] Console FB conflicts with xorg

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) celti at celti.name
Wed Apr 20 23:12:27 UTC 2016

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:57:55 -0300
Sebastián Pedersen <sebasped at openmailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I put in my grub configuration:
>
> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
>
> and consequently get framebuffer for the console, then xorg vesa
> driver not render properly, and the fbdev xorg driver stops working
> the DPMS.
>
> But If I comment that grub line, evething works fine.
>
> The problem is that I use a lot a framebuffer console, and also xorg.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Your best bet is going to be to build the sisfb module for your kernel.
That's usually a bit of a pain, but you're in luck, because I wanted to
figure out how to do DKMS for in-tree modules... and so I present to
you the brand new AUR package linux-sisfb-dkms [1].

Now, I don't actually have a compatible card to test it with, but it
modprobes okay so I think I did it right. Anyway, install that, ensure
it automatically loads on boot by adding it to modules-load.d, and
configure it to use the video mode you want according to the docs [2].
That'll typically be something like the following in a modprobe.d
snippet:

options sisfb mode=1024x768x32

Hope that all gets you working!

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-sisfb-dkms/