[arch-general] MSI AMD R7 260x fan speed with AMDGPU

Foxtrot Mike fulcrummike at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 03:49:53 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I have a little problem with my R7 260x because of which I must check if
the fan is working at startup. If it isn't, I give the fan a little push
with my finger so it starts working. The fan gets jammed every fortnight
or so (I didn't send the fan for repair or warranty claim because I'm
sooo lazy, and now I am in another country).

Anyway, the point is that I must be able to see my fan speed. Currently,
I am using AMD Catalyst just because it lets me find out my fan speed with:

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"

I would like to get rid of this driver and install AMDGPU. Last time I
tried AMDGPU it was around an year ago, and back then fan monitoring
fucntion wasn't available. I would like to ask you guys if this function
is available now? And if not, how can I get fan speed readings without
the AMD Catalyst software? Any help would be appreciated!

regards,
Fulcrum