[arch-general] Pacman cache directory

João Miguel jmcf125 at openmailbox.org
Wed Aug 17 18:23:42 UTC 2016

A 2016-08-17T19:17:43 +0300, Alex Theotokatos via arch-general escreveu:
> On 08/17/2016 02:32 PM, arnaud gaboury via arch-general wrote:
> > > From /etc/pacman.conf:
> >
> > CacheDir    = /drawer/system/pacman/cache/pacman/pkg/
> Where did you found this line?
Ahm... (see below)
> It should be
> CacheDir  = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/
>

> > This is a convenient place to me as my root system is a not too large
Here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why not make /var a separate filesystem (and even /var/{cache,log} etc.
if necessary), as traditional, instead of creating a new directory in /,
only to get programs confused and to have to create weird
configurations?
> > SSD. When doing some cleaning on my machines, I found this:
> >
> > $ ls -al /drawer/system
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 gabx users   34 Aug 12 21:10 pacman ->
> > /tmp/asd-gabx/drawer/system/pacman/
> >
> > Pacman is working like a charm, but I would like to understand why abd
> > by what the pacman directory is a symlink to a volatile dir?
> >
> > Thank you for any hints on how investigate.
I have never heard of pacman keeping packages in temporary directories
(not even after a quick search in the AW and manual pages for pacman and
pacman.conf). However, some AUR helpers do that.

You (the OP) are the one who selected a directory
(/drawer/system/pacman/cache/pacman/pkg/) which was in a temporary
directory (/drawer/system/pacman->/tmp/asd-gabx/drawer/system/pacman/).

With abd do you mean abs (Arch Build System)?

To answer your question properly, we need more information on what
you're trying to do and how (what tools (abd?), non-standard config
files).

Regards,
João Miguel