[arch-general] Opinions on PowerShell?

Stephen E. Baker baker.stephen.e at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:27:07 UTC 2016

On 8/19/2016 6:21 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Hunter Connelly via arch-general <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Here's an example I found on Reddit in the thread about this on /r/linux.
>> Both of the following commands find the size and name of the three largest files
>> in a directory.
>>
>> Bash:        ls -l | sed 's/ \+/,/g' | cut -d',' -f 5,9 | sort -g | tail -3
>> PowerShell:  ls -file | sort -pr length | select length, name -l 3
> If it overlays standardized behavior by non-standard behavior, this would
> indeed be a strong afrument against it.
>
> Jörg

By default PowerShell comes preconfigured with aliases that match the
familiar names of unix programs that approximately describe the
PowerShell equivalents. Sometimes these aliases are more accurate than
others, e.g. ls => Get-Items is fairly reasonable, other times the
aliases are terribly misleading, like curl => Invoke-WebRequest.

PowerShell also interacts poorly with traditional text based unix
programs (and windows programs for that matter). It is definitely best
treated like a python shell, interacting with other powershell
commandlets, modules, and .NET libraries.

As a PowerShell user, it certainly has it's place, but it's place is
pretty niche in the linux world, so +1 for the AUR.