[arch-general] After upgrade

Martin Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 17:43:47 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM, piequiex <piequiex at nym.mixmin.net> wrote:
>> [   66.078059] RIP  [<ffffffff8130b914>] __memmove+0x24/0x1a0
>> [   66.080161]  RSP <ffff880114513cf0>
>> [   66.082193] CR2: ffffffff81e00000
>> [   66.084178] ---[ end trace 7fe3870b4855ddc6 ]---
>> - --
>> Have a nice day!
>>

>> You too!
> Useless message.
> P.S. Adjust MUA setings.

Whatever you expected to happen. I'm going to go through a few things
now, because how people reacted to what you sent was neither
unexpected nor unjustified.

You basically did the same thing to this mailing list that the kernel
did to you. We do not deserve this. But you're not a machine. You can
give some context and some information about what you upgraded, what
you were doing when it happened and what software was running. Looking
at some of the details, it seems like you were running a shell in the
linux console - probably with nvidia kms running. Was X11 running?

You may not post a stacktrace to the mailing list though, ESPECIALLY
one with NO CONTEXT WHATSOEVER automatically OR IN YOUR OWN WORDS
attached, because literally nobody can help you now. The stacktrace
doesn't contain any information about what part of the system broke,
but you coulld have told yourself if you had actually looked at it.

The literally best thing I can do for you is respond with BOFH excuse:
Our POP server was kidnapped by a weasel.

cheers!
mar77i