[arch-general] Stronger Hashes for PKGBUILDs

Gregory Mullen greg at grayhatter.com
Wed Dec 7 09:58:16 UTC 2016

> I advocate keeping md5sum as the default because it is broken.  If I see
someone purely verifying their sources using md5sum in a PKGBUILD (and
not pgp signature), I know that they have done nothing to actually
verify the source themselves.

I advocate making the default house construction straw... Said the wolf to
the three little pigs.

Advocating for MD5 as a "this package is insecure" warning flag makes NO
sense at all. Especially when if the package is secure (because the
maintainer verified the PGP sig, and then changed to shaXXX) you still no
nothing new. But don't say; MD5 is good because I know it's broken, so I
know the maintainer didn't do their job?

Either validate the PGP keys, or don't. But don't suggest keeping a broken
system because... why again? So you can learn nothing?

> But we don't care about that...  we just want to feel warm and fuzzy with
a false sense of security.

No one is suggesting sha*sum replace, and actual security/authentication
check. Only that maybe it's not a good idea to use a system we all know is
broken.