[arch-general] Stronger Hashes for PKGBUILDs

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Fri Dec 9 16:05:08 UTC 2016

On 12/08/2016 03:14 PM, Bennett Piater wrote:
>>> Is there any voting system that we have so that we can also
>>> democratically vote for stronger hashes?
>>
>> The Arch developers decide this, not a democratically vote ;).
>
> Arch is not a democracy, that has been said many times.

That is true and also make sense in some cases. However we somehow need
an official statement then, as all facts are given by now. Some TU votes
might still help, however I am really glad that so many people raised up
their word here.

As an alternative if the main devs do not want to make it a general rule
we could use the Trusted User Section on AUR to create a proposal about
using strong hashes for community. We can then make it a community only
rule or also "just" a guideline everyone can follow or not. Everyone who
complies to this guideline can mark their package so and others will follow.

An official rule would be still better. So let us know what you (devs)
think about this finally.

~Nico