[arch-general] virtualbox-bin x-server connection refused

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:14:04 UTC 2016

All,

  I'm a bit confused with a connection refused from the X-server attempting to
start fluxbox within an Arch guest. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong
or if I have a module problem after the last kernel update. (dkms says
everything was rebuilt) I have the following installed:

virtualbox-bin 5.1.8-1
virtualbox-ext-oracle 5.1.8-1

on 4.8.12-3-ARCH

  I start virtualbox headless

$ VBoxManage startvm "arch_1_64" --type headless

and then connect to the vm with rdesktop, e.g.

$ rdesktop fenrir -u david -g 1280x800 -x l &

  The connection to the guest is fine, it pops up with the 1152x864
framebuffer resolution I set.

  If I start it without 'headless', the console starts over ssh and
mouse-pointer integration is automatic, just as it should be.

  But either way, if I attempt to start x, via 'startx' as I do normally with
my `.xinitrc` set to launch fluxbox, I get:

xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused.

  The host modules loaded are:

10:58 fenrir:~/cnf/vbox> lsmod | grep box
vboxnetflt             28672  0
vboxnetadp             28672  0
vboxpci                24576  0
vboxdrv               385024  4 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci

which I don't see a vboxvideo or vboxsfs, etc.., but that is where my
confusion comes in. Since this is 5.1.8 (well after 5.0.8 as mentioned in the
wiki) are those modules even used anymore? and if not, do I have all the
modules I need? Checking the Xorg.0.log on the guest it complains it can't
find 'vboxvideo', 'fbdev' or 'vesa' modules, e.g. 'no screens found(EE)'.

Do I need to do something more in the guest after upgrading the kernel there?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.