[arch-general] Regular service freezes the system

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:09:03 UTC 2016

Op 16 dec. 2016 10:24 schreef "Jeanette C." <julien at mail.upb.de>:

Hi List,
I have encountered this issue several times now. I can't be sure, which job
actually freezes the system, a good runner up is updatedb, [...]

Sounds like your system has either too little memory for your workload or
has a problem with (heavy) IO.

By freezing; do you mean that the system feels slow, or does it hang
completely?

In either case, you might want to check dmesg for errors. If everything is
working but just slow, check your memory usage and/or try to reschedule
both tasks (updatedb and mandb) to a more convenient time.

I think the cgroups can also help here, but that's a bit of longshot for me.

Mvg, Guus Snijders