[arch-general] [OT] Settings problem: Why is Thunderbird so silly?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 14:54:42 UTC 2016

On 12/22/2016 06:11 AM, Peter Nabbefeld wrote:
> I want to select an application for opening an attachment with an
> alternative editor (a PDF file with LibreOffice Draw in this case).
>
> When I want to select the application, I get the list of last opened
> files (i.e. text files, which obviously are not able to run ...).
>
> Trying to search for "sdraw" presents me with a waiting cursor ...
> waiting endlessly.
>
> I'd guess I have to set some options somewhere, but I don't know which -
> or do I even have to edit some XUL file? I doubt, that Thunderbird is
> really so "silly" just not being able to find some application.

No, just select the executable in your File dialog. But obviously it is
not going to be found searching the recent (data) files list!

Basically, Mozilla is a bit silly. There is an ancient bug filed
somewhere, asking for Firefox/Thunderbird to support the standard Linux
.desktop standard, but nobody seems to be interested in doing that. :(

(Naturally, the Windows registry analogue works perfectly. You'll find
that depressingly often, Firefox bugs will languish if they are
Linux-exclusive.)

--
Eli Schwartz