[arch-general] Postfix delivery problem

Jeremy Brown jeremy at brownjava.org
Fri Dec 23 04:17:00 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 03:18:13AM +0100, G. Schlisio wrote:
> It seems like postfix/local is ignoring the mailbox_transport_maps
> option and trying to deliver itself instead of passing to dovecot, thus
> finding no entry in the system passwd.
> After full upgrade config files were merged (no changes in mail config)
> and a reboot was done. The list of upgraded packages is shown at
> http://termbin.com/k5ql . As downgrading postfix, dovecot and icu
> (linking) did not resolve this issue, we are very confused.

I don't have any specific advice for you about mailbox_transport_maps,
but I'm on postfix-3.1.3-2 and using an aliases file to route addresses
that do not map to local accounts to addresses that do have local
accounts, and that still seems to work (I just tested it to be sure).
Also your log statements end at the .forward lookup, which is supposed
to happen before mailbox_transport_maps, so I think the .forward
"couldn't find user" line is a red herring and any
mailbox_transport_maps processing would happen after that.  From the
postconf(5) man page:

--
The precedence of local(8) delivery  features  from  high  to low  is:
aliases,  .forward files,  mailbox_transport_maps, mailbox_transport,

Maybe you could share the full verbose output of a single invocation of
local?

The fact that you rolled back to a previous postfix (that presumably
worked) and are still having the issue seems fishy to me, and kinda
implies that the likely culprit here is that something in your
configuration merge messed up your config files.  If you saved your old
config files, I'd do a diff and see what's different.  Maybe something
is overwriting the mailbox_command_maps value after you've set it, or
maybe there's a parse error somewhere that's preventing postfix from
ever reaching where you set mailbox_command maps.

You might also reach out to the postfix mailing lists for help, as
you'll likely get better debugging tips for scenarios like this than
from a distribution-specific list.

Cheers,

Jeremy