[arch-general] Getting freeze on early start with linux 4.9-1 kernel.

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 15:33:22 UTC 2016

On 24-12-2016 14:14, Carsten Mattner wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Mauro Santos via arch-general
> <arch-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> On 23-12-2016 13:58, Carsten Mattner via arch-general wrote:

>>> Does the fallback boot entry work?
>>>
>>> Have you tried reinstalling the kernel?
>>>
>>> I wish arch would (like other distros) keep 2 or three old kernel
>>> versions around because it doesn't take any space to do so
>>> and works around boot bugs in new kernels.
>>>

>> Care to explain how "doesn't take any space" works? Last time I checked
>> files do take up space. There is an LTS kernel in the repos, which you
>> can have installed exactly for things like this.
>
> While writing that I knew somebody would read it in strict interpretation mode.
> s/no space/not enough space in \/boot to matter/

The kernel only might not take much space but you have to take into
account the initramfs images and kernel modules too. All together it
should amount to over 100MiB per kernel.

What other distros do is recommend a 1GB /boot or changing the
configuration to reduce the number of older kernels installed[1]. People
have complained about small libraries needing to be installed as being
wasteful, at a grand total 100MiB+ for each kernel that would start a
nice flamewar.

>> There is also the matter of automagic bootloader configuration change to
>> support that, not to mention people that use efistub to boot their
>> system, how do you propose to handle that?
>
> If you have installed archlinux, it's reasonable to expect that one knows
> how to configure this.

It is you who said "I wish arch would (like other distros) keep 2 or
three old kernel versions around" not me. Other distributions
automagically take care of updating the bootloader configuration, as
much would be expected of arch.

Some people already have trouble managing to update one kernel properly,
imagine the chaos it would be with more than one if manual steps were
involved, not to mention old kernels have _known_ security issues and
having old stuff around is not the Arch way.

>>> If this is a regression you will have to post dmesg. If you don't see
>>> errors/warnings, then kernel developers would usually ask to enable
>>> debug flags for printing more information during boot.
>>>
>>> That said, I have one old machine with a Core2Duo and GM4xx and
>>> ever since DRM's atomic modesetting was introduced in 4.2, I can
>>> only use 4.1 warning free. Regressions do happen but you had no
>>> warnings or errors in 4.8 so yours looks like a different regression.
>>>

>> If you don't report the bugs upstream they don't get fixed, if you have
>> reported it and no one got around to take a look at it then fine,
>> otherwise don't be lazy and report those bugs and help get them fixed.
>
> I did report it and it's been written off as "why do you care about the new
> warning/stacktrace?". Given that I didn't bother trying to convince the
> DRM devs of the importance since I don't have a RHEL or SLES support
> contract I pay for.

Then you've done your part and no one can fault you, if the drm devs
don't think it is a problem there isn't much you can do. That said, if
the only problem is seeing some spam in the output of dmesg I can
understand why they wouldn't give it top priority.

[1]
https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7#head-281c090cc4fbc6bb5c7d4cd82a266fce807eee7c

--
Mauro Santos