[arch-general] Stronger Hashes for PKGBUILDs

NicoHood archlinux at nicohood.de
Mon Dec 26 12:35:23 UTC 2016

On 12/26/2016 01:21 PM, Allan McRae wrote:

>>> Once again I must say thanks, fnodeuser.
>>>

>> Yesterday I wanted to install ArchLinux on someone else computer. He
>> used Windows until now and had no gpg handy yet (it is really annoying
>> to install on windows).
>>
>> So we needed to verify the source otherwise. But there was no real
>> option as md5/sha1 is broken and his internet is too slow to download it
>> again via torrent. We did not install Arch then and I will send him my
>> sha512sum from my computer the next days where I did a torrent download.
>>
>> The ArchLinux website connects via https. His mirror that he used did
>> not (http or ftp). So we had a real problem and there was no way to
>> verify the source properly. Adding sha256 and sha512 would not cause
>> more trouble but would be extremely helpful here.
>>
>> @Allan I think you are responsible for this if I am correct. Would you
>> please be so kind and add sha256 sums to the download page?
>
> I have nothing to do with this.
>
> Also, is there even a theoretical case where a joint md5 and sha1
> collision has occured?

Oh sorry.

ArchLinux wants to KISS, so we should simply add stronger hashes instead
of requiring the user to download two tools. Its quite a struggle to
find a hash tool for windows anyways.

Also the website should state from which person the signature is and
which fingerprint it uses. I still could not find this information
(otherwise I'd contact this person).

Going to add a bugreport instead: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52273