[arch-general] opinion request about Firefox add-ons

Eli Schwartz eschwartz93 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:26:17 UTC 2016

On 02/01/2016 09:46 AM, Jonathan Roemer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 01:52:03AM -0500, Eli Schwartz wrote:
>> Way to go on not answering the question in any way, shape, or form...
>
> uBlock Origin [random screed follows]
>
> As the user's current Adblock Plus solution is broken, and they
> specifically asked for other opinions or options, I figured I would
> offer them an objectively better adblocking experience within Firefox.
> Both a release and developer version of uBlock Origin are signed and
> available on the Firefox addons site.

So I guess you really didn't read the user's post after all.

Or you would have noticed the part where he explicitly stated that
Adblock Plus works fine. In fact, Adblock Plus too has both Release and
Developer versions signed and available on the Firefox addons site.

What the user was talking about, is the firefox-adblock-plus package
from the Arch Linux community repos.
Which doesn't work, on account of not being from the Firefox addons site
and thus not being signed.
A problem which is already reported on the Arch Linux bugtracker (with a
fix).

Thus answering the user's question of "should I use the Arch Linux
package or simply install Adblock Plus from the Firefox addons website".

Thank you for your recommendation to install the firefox-ublock-origin
package as a replacement (or interim solution), unfortunately, I ran
into some trouble doing so, as there is no such thing...

--
Eli Schwartz