[arch-general] btrfs/snapper hook for pacman 5.0?

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Mon Feb 1 21:21:04 UTC 2016

Hi all,

now with hooks newly introduced to pacman, are there already some useful
btrfs and/or snapper hooks available? At least a quick look-around in
the forums and with Google hasn't revealed anything yet.

Maybe I'm getting something wrong here, but in my understanding it
should be doable and probably is even a cool feature that other distros
/ package managers already provide.

Basically all we have to do is to create a snapshot before and after
each pacman invocation. However, after having a look at the
alpm-hooks(5) man page I'm not too sure what kind of trigger would make
the most sense here.

With the "recommended" btrfs / snapper subvolume layout, one could add
triggers for paths that should be backed up (e.g. /, /var/, etc.). On
the other hand the man page tells us that using the root directory as
trigger path is not recommended.

So has anyone already looked into this and has some thoughts on this?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch