[arch-general] building cwm or twrp on arch

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 16:41:35 UTC 2016

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:25 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, with the help of [1], [2], [3], and several others, plus of
> course the Arch wiki, I could build the CWM image, though it didn't
> work.  After installing it through adb/fastboot, as on [4], actually
> the recovery image gets lost.
>
> One thing to notice is that for this device (huawei snapto) the boot
> image couldn't be acquired through adb shell "dump_image", so finding
> the boot partition, and copying it to "/sdcard" through "dd" was
> necessary.  Also "BoardConfig.mk" had to be edited, to get the
> partition sizes of the device, and some df, proc/partitions,
> dev/block/platform/*/by-name were necessary to be inspected to get the
> values, given proc/mtd was not available.  The recovery.fstab seemed
> fine.
>
> Any ways, although the recovery image was built, as mentioned, once
> flashed, no recovery shows up when rebooting into recovery.  I had to
> install the CM recovery image (which is not a CWM one) to get a
> recovery image back...  That one doesn't allow to flash the device
> BTW.
>
> So, though the recovery image is getting built, it's useless.  If
> someone has done it before, sharing the experience will help a lot.
> This might be offtopic, since the Arch part seems overcome, however
> I'm still unable to generate the CWM recovery image I attempt to
> build...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Javier
>
> [1]  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2259929
> [2]  http://xda-university.com/as-a-developer/porting-clockworkmod-recovery-to-a-new-device
> [3]  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1866545
> [4]  https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_g620_a2

Well, at the end, I couldn't generate a working CWM, but it didn't
matter.  The wiki instructions I was following to flash CM on Huawei
SnapTo were misleading, in the sense they only indicated how to do it
with a CWM/TWRP recovery image, but the CM recovery image was well
suited for the task, :-)  So no need to build a CWM/TWRP image after
all.

BTW, great work on Arch for all android components, the flows work
pretty much out of the box, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier