[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Tue Feb 9 18:10:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 17:26:57 +0100, Michał Zegan wrote:
>A note about using shell scripts in systemd:
>Who said you can't? and I don't talk about systemd's init.d
>compatibility that is disabled in arch. Although you have to write
>unit files, you can start scripts, so you do not really lose
>flexibility.

I'm doing this. However, if you remove and mount cards, in my case just
audio related, not network related cards, then even network device
names are not consistent. It's not a serious issue, you just need to
decide to use one or the other workaround, but some users who have
portable scripts, perhaps dislike to check all scripts against
systemd/udev pitfalls.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep enp?s0 /usr/local/sbin/alice-dhcp
  echo ; dhcpcd $(basename $(ls -d /sys/class/net/enp?s0)) ; echo
  echo ; dhcpcd -x $(basename $(ls -d /sys/class/net/enp?s0)) ; echo