[arch-general] Alternative init system proposal

João Miguel jmcf125 at openmailbox.org
Sat Feb 13 15:17:32 UTC 2016

> > I feel it pertinent to point out that a different rolling-release
> > distrobution ( http://www.voidlinux.eu/ ) does not use systemd, openrc, or
> > sysvinit. Void Linux uses runit exclusively, and thus patches projects like
> > KDE4 and Gnome3 to work without systemd (I don't mention KDE5 since nobody
> > has cared enough yet to put in the effort).
> Well, that's *amazing*... what does it mean for me, the user?
To me, the user, it means I there is a possibility for an alternative
init system without the devs having to do anything. It means there are
people out there working on this and work towards alternatives does not
need to start from scratch. You're on Linux: you ought not to be only a
user, but also a contributor, thus "voting" with your actions. That's
why you're on a mailing list, or at least why I am.

> I can only re-iterate: Can we please stop this thread?
I deleted the first half of it. I think it may turn out to be productive
now. Void Linux is a distribution besides Gentoo we can base off to
allow different init systems to be used.

Regards,
João Miguel