[arch-general] Mutt - no authenticators available

P. A. López-Valencia vorbote at outlook.com
Thu Feb 25 19:25:53 UTC 2016

On jue, 2016-02-25 at 11:18 +0800, Fulcrum wrote:

You don't need this:

> set imap_authenticators=”gssapi:digest-md5:cram-md5:login”
> set smtp_authenticators=”gssapi:digest-md5:cram-md5:login”

You should always use SSL and TLS to connect to an email providerm by
the way. If it doesn't support SSL/TLS, well you should run away faster
from it than from the black plague and taxmen.

Outlook.com supports SSL for IMAP and TLS for SMTP on the receive port
(567). And that brings me to point out: When you use a trustworthy SSL
or TLS connection, you don't need password authentication
thingamagicks. You use PLAIN auth. Outlook.com (and Gmail, Yahoo!, GMX
and others) only support PLAIN auth over SSL or TLS.

> I tried using a gmail account; didnt work. I hope someone here could
> help me.

A Gmail account will require OAUTH2 support in the client by default,
---the reason why you can connect with thunderbird, and using POP3 of
all things (yuck!) as you pointed out later in this thread that IMAP
support was disabled---. You can enable password authentication in the
security section at https://myaccount.google.com/ not before being
admonished that doing so will probably rob your youth, hair and
fortune.

On how go about finding out the right parameters to configure mutt with
your Outlook.com account (bear with me, hotmail.com is dead and your
address is just an alias to an Outlook.com inbox), configure the
account in thunderbird as an IMAP account and the review the
configuration generated for the account. SMTP settings are at the end
of the account settings list in thunderbird.

--
Pedro A. López-Valencia
http://about.me/palopezv

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you
lose yours. -Ronald Reagan