[arch-general] Mutt - no authenticators available

Fulcrum fulcrummike at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:06:48 UTC 2016

[SOLVED]

Hi everybody,

On 02/26/2016 03:25 AM, P. A. López-Valencia wrote:
> You don't need this:
>
>> >set imap_authenticators=”gssapi:digest-md5:cram-md5:login”
>> >set smtp_authenticators=”gssapi:digest-md5:cram-md5:login”

You were right; I didn't need this. Without these entries I was getting
"Login Failed" error. That's why I put these lines in my config file.
After I removed these entries, I tried to connect but again failed with
a "Login Failed" error. I checked journalctl and it showed that mutt was
still trying to use DIGEST-MD5 authenticator (don't know why!). So I put
in my .muttrc this line:

set imap_authenticators="plain"

and it worked. I haven't tested smpt yet but I hope it will work now too.

 > Outlook.com supports SSL for IMAP and TLS for SMTP on the receive port
 > (567). And that brings me to point out: When you use a trustworthy SSL
 > or TLS connection, you don't need password authentication
 > thingamagicks. You use PLAIN auth. Outlook.com (and Gmail, Yahoo!, GMX
 > and others) only support PLAIN auth over SSL or TLS.

Didn't know that. I read something like this about PLAIN authentication
in some forum post but it wasn't explained quite clearly.

Thanks guys for your help.

Regards,