[arch-general] Boot SuperMicro H8QM8-2 w/4 Opteron 8360 - hangs on boot of install media

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Feb 29 23:44:45 UTC 2016

All,

  This may be a stupid question. If so I apologize. Do I have to do anything
different to boot the arch install media on a board with 4 Opteron 8360
processors (16 core total), or should the kernel just handle however many cores
there are?

  The reason I ask is it always hangs after it says Booting Kernel (immediately
after decompress). When I memtest the memory, (I have two sets and I've gone
stick by stick with a minimum memory config, and I still get errors at the exact
same percentage of every test.) I have rotated each stick in/out with a
replacement, and replaced the whole set, but same issue.

  So I either have to do something different to boot with 16 core which will in
turn also address the memory issue, or I have lots of bad ram or a bad mem
controller in one of the processors.

  Hardware Info shows all cores and memory, it's just using it that is the
problem :)

  What say the experts? Do I need to pass a kernel flag, or something similar
for the 4 Opteron boot, or does it just smell like multiple failed sticks in
each set?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.