[arch-general] Firefox without signature checking

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 20:17:52 UTC 2016

Hello,

Are there plans to package a version of Firefox 44 that lets you disable
extension signature checking?

Background: Firefox is shipping with signature checking for addons.
Right now (in Firefox 43), there is an option to disable it if you need
to use an unsigned addon.  However, that option is being removed in
Firefox 44. [0]

Signature checking itself is actually a very good concept.  However, the
way Mozilla has implemented it in Firefox (imho) is not.  Every
extension must be signed by Mozilla, and only Mozilla, creating a walled
garden.  From my understanding, there will be no way to override this
extension check unless you recompile Firefox and build an unbranded
version.

Personally, I think this mechanism goes against the Arch Linux tenet of
user centrality [1].  As a user, you should ultimately be allowed to
decide what you want to install on your system.  Also, how are you
supposed to build your own extensions or test someone else's extension
on Firefox stable? Fedora recently discussed the possibility of
packaging an "unofficial" Firefox [2]. (Take a look at their bugtracker
for some good points.)

Is an abrowser package with the ability to disable extension signing
warranted?

I am posting to this mailing list because I have not seen much
discussion about Firefox extension signing in the Arch Linux world.
Developers, what are your thoughts?  Is it worth it packaging an
"unofficial" version of Firefox?

--Kyle Terrien

[0] https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing
[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux#User_centrality