[arch-general] Firefox without signature checking

Leonid Isaev leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu
Sat Jan 2 22:35:01 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 02:06:05PM -0800, Kyle Terrien wrote:
> Thank you!  I was tempted to reopen it, but it looks like the general
> consensus is that an AUR package will be submitted.

You can only request to reopen...

> It looks like sticking to upstream trumps user-centric in this case.
> (Although I guess building from AUR is a fair substitute for
> user-centric.)

Yes, that's what the SVN repo is for: if you don't like the official release (=
the one in binary repos), just clone && rebuild the thing yourself. As a bonus,
you can get rid of unnecessary deps.

> It's a real bummer that a bunch of users (myself included) will be
> forced to compile Firefox on each release.  I really hope we can
> eventually get an abrowser or firefox-nobranding (or maybe even
> palemoon) into the repos.

Compiling FF doesn't take long if you disable PGO in PKGBUILD.

> How can we nominate a package into community or extra?

The package will have to get enough votes in the AUR and someone should want to
maintain it in the repo.

> (And if you are fed-up with Mozilla's walled-garden policy like I am, I
> suggest trying out Pale Moon [0].)

... which you need to build yourself anyway.

Cheers,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4