[arch-general] Firefox without signature checking

Kyle Terrien kyleterrien at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:26:59 UTC 2016

On 01/02/2016 02:50 PM, Doug Newgard wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:35:01 -0700
> Leonid Isaev <leonid.isaev at jila.colorado.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 02, 2016 at 02:06:05PM -0800, Kyle Terrien wrote:
>>> Thank you!  I was tempted to reopen it, but it looks like the general
>>> consensus is that an AUR package will be submitted.
>>
>> You can only request to reopen...
>
> And that request would be denied unless you can bring new info to the table. So
> far, I haven't seen any.

The new info I have is that Mozilla is creating a walled garden.  There
is no way to override it besides rebuilding Firefox.

The Fedora bugreport I pointed at earlier [0] compares this to package
signing in RPM (or in our case pacman).  The difference with package
signing is that a user can add his own key and use that key to sign
packages.  In Firefox 44, you can do no such thing.  You are at
Mozilla's mercy.

And Mozilla's add-on checker isn't perfect either [1].

These two reasons are why I believe that Mozilla's signature policy is a
step in the wrong direction.

On the other hand, I fully understand why we would want to follow
upstream--less work for packaging and testing, as well as official
sanctioning via branding.

But I'm not affected much anyway because I'm on Pale Moon (using their
official builds).

--Kyle Terrien

[0] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1518
[1] http://danstillman.com/2015/11/23/firefox-extension-scanning-is-security-theater