[arch-general] Firefox without signature checking

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jan 3 01:24:32 UTC 2016

Doug Newgard writes:

> On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:26:59 -0800
> Kyle Terrien <kyleterrien at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/02/2016 02:50 PM, Doug Newgard wrote:

>> > And that request would be denied unless you can bring new info to the table. So
>> > far, I haven't seen any.
>>
>> The new info I have is that Mozilla is creating a walled garden.  There
>> is no way to override it besides rebuilding Firefox.
>
> That's not new info, that's the same argument that was already rejected.

The issue in question ([1]) was raised before release 43, where
signature checking, AFAIU was turned on by default but could be manually
disabled.

The new info would be that for release 44, signature checking would not
only be turned on by default but there would be no way to disable it.

Do not confuse "no new info" with "there is new info, but that doesn't
change our decision."

The larger, and very philosophical question is "How user un-friendly can
upstream make it before Arch decides to *not* package as upstream
intends?" (Answering this requires keeping in mind that Arch users are
unlikely to fall squarely into the target group of upstream.)

/M

[1]: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/45900

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Unix is the answer, but only if you phrase the question very
carefully.
     -- Unknown