[arch-general] Kali rt2800usb driver on Arch for wireshark tcp capture

Fulcrum Mike fulcrummike at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:30:31 UTC 2016

On 1/13/2016 10:55 PM, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 21:13:23 +0800
> Fulcrum Mike <fulcrummike at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It seems like I have a fake Alfa AWUS036H with Ralink Chipset.
>> Anyway, I dont think the problem is related to hardware since Kali
>> system can capture TCP data with this same adapter.
>>
>> For future me and others who may be looking for such information,
>> Kali is using libpcap 1.6.2, aircrack-ng 1:1.2-2-rc2, and wireshark
>> 1.12.6. I managed to install these exact versions on Arch.
>>
>> So now I have the same versions of wifi driver, airmon-ng, wireshark
>> and libpcap on both systems but still no TCP on Arch. :|
>
> You could look into if they apply any patches to the driver module,
> then build a kernel for yourself adding the same patches.

Solved it after all!

Problem:
Kernel 4.2 onwards have a bug in rt2x00 driver that renders monitor mode
useless because of which I was unable to catch any TCP traffic on Arch
system(kernel 4.3.3).

Solution:
I have never patched a package/driver before so instead of patching the
rt2x00 driver I downgraded my Arch kernel to LTS version (4.1.xx)  using
'# pacman -S linux-lts' and then updated the grub config file.
Everything works like a charm now!

Thanks Mr. Eli Cooper for pointing this out to me.