[arch-general] Mounting root according to fstab the first time (fstab in initrd)?

Garmine 42 mikro001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 19:16:09 UTC 2016

Hi!

My concern is that there are a few mount flags which can not be
changed with a remount (at least on some FSes such as btrfs).

Now as far as I understand, the kernel mounts root RO after boot using
the root and rootflags parameters. I also found that you can include
/etc/fstab in the initrd. How can I convince the kernel to mount every
volume including the root according to fstab instead of the kernel
paramters?

In case the kernel isn't the one which reads fstab (which I suspect),
can I include some binary in the initrd that would read fstab and
handle the mounting for me?

Or should I just scrap the whole above idea and write something
that'll a) read the root volume's options from fstab and put it on the
cmdline through e.g. a grub-mkconfig script?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Garmine