[arch-general] systemd user unit files from custom directory

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 11:48:42 UTC 2016

hello,

thought i'd ask here first, in case it's a distro problem.

was wondering if we can use systemd to start and stop a daemon for
testing purposes during development. meaning, i would like to not have
to "install" my daemon nor its systemd service file, and instead run
all from the working directory.

from systemd.unit man page i got the impression that this example would work:

❱ tree $PWD
/data/projects/hmm
└── systemd
    └── user
        └── foobar.service

❱ cat systemd/user/foobar.service
[Unit]
Description=Foo Bar
[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/sleep 42

❱ XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$PWD systemctl --user start foobar
Failed to start foobar.service: Unit foobar.service failed to load: No
such file or directory.

am i doing it wrong, or?

Cheers
Andre Schmidt