[arch-general] FireFox 44 turning the bookmark toolbar+ extensions area + current tab into light gray (like selected) [gist image]

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 01:57:17 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just updated Arch, and got FF 44, but there's a new color behavior on
>> the bookmark toolbar, the extensions area, and current tab.
>>
>> It looks like if everything was somehow selected, light grayed.  This
>> is new, but I don't know if it's the new 44+ expected behavior, or
>> something that got broken, and perhaps there's a way to work it
>> around.
>>
>> The gist linked image provides a snapshot of the new weird behavior:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/je-vv/7a00601e9217cd9d3447
>
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> you don't seem to be using the default look-and-feel of Firefox so
> it's hard to say what you
> expect to be right and how your expectation doesn't meet reality.
>
> --
> damjan

Hmm, well, I don't have anything specific set for FF look-and-feel.
I'm using "GnomishDark" gtk+3 and gtk+2 themes though.  By removing
them (just default themes), I see a bit less contrast, but the same
effect (light grayed).

I uploaded a 2nd image on the same gist (shows below the 1st one):

https://gist.github.com/je-vv/7a00601e9217cd9d3447

However, I just noticed I also have set in my gtk-3 settings:

gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = true

And that together with the theme put in evidence the new grayed color.
When unset, everything looks gray, icnlcuded the rest of the tabs, but
still the bookmarks toolbar and the extensions area and the current
tab look lighter, just that there's no big contrast given everything
is gray (it also looks like lighter grayed).  I uploaded a 3rd image
for reference on the same gist, the one at the bottom:

https://gist.github.com/je-vv/7a00601e9217cd9d3447

Looks like FF 44 actually made a change in here, making look lighter
what's not other tabs and the main menu (hidden by default), which has
the effect of a high contrast on dark gtk themes.

I'm still no sure if this something that missed testing, or it's
actually intentional.  Looks like no one tested on dark themes, :-)
Suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Javier