[arch-general] Announcing pacpak

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Sun Jul 10 12:18:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 07/10/2016 12:52 PM, Bennett Piater wrote:
> Are you planning to address the catastrophy that ensues when 5000
> different versions of important libraries are installed at the same
> time, most of which will always be 5 critical security updates behind?

The intention is that, once implemented, `pacpak -Syu` or maybe `pacpak
-Su` will install a current version of all apps and runtimes. Old
versions of apps and app runtimes that are not used by any app could be
cleaned by `pacpak -Sc` or a similar command (or automatically?); I’m
not yet sure what the best interface is.

Note that there is a trade-off between memory consumption and the time
it takes to update a container. ostree (which is used by Flatpak)
compresses all runtimes and apps for about half the hard disk memory
consumption. This greatly increases the time it takes to update a
container. This may need to be addressed in ostree in the future.

> I am very cynical about this container trend... :/

The advantage of using pacman for Flatpak is that even pure Flatpak
users may still be interested in Arch packages, so Arch packages remain
just as relevant and everything stays mostly the same for those using
pure pacman.

Regards,
Florian Pelz