[arch-general] Announcing pacpak

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Sun Jul 10 20:43:33 UTC 2016

On 07/10/2016 08:43 PM, Bennett Piater wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> That would be the best you could do on the Arch side, but the problem is
> mostly that every upstream dev would need to maintain and keep his
> container up to date, isn't it? :)

pacpak is not meant to redistribute already packaged containers from
upstream. Instead it can be used to create containers from existing Arch
packages. Basically, a copy of Arch is installed into a container
runtime. Then different sets of regular Arch packages can be added on
top of the Arch base system to create one app container each. This is
similar to one chroot per app, but with additional security measures and
available to non-root users. Common files are stored only once on the
hard drive.

`pacpak -Syu` would therefore always install exactly the same version of
the software as available with regular pacman.

I’m sorry for not expressing myself clearly in previous posts.

Regards,
Florian Pelz