[arch-general] arch-general Digest, Vol 141, Issue 17

pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) pelzflorian at pelzflorian.de
Tue Jul 12 06:52:24 UTC 2016

On 07/11/2016 10:40 PM, ITwrx.org wrote:
> Florian,
>
> thanks for the reply and link. Well behaved build systems and/or the
> link you sent is what i alluded to with my "cooperation from upstream"
> comment. It seems to me, upstream and distros should get together and
> agree on a set of standards. then all distros could auto-build their
> repos. Unless "build once, run everywhere" can be done in a way that's
> superior to repos and packages (i don't see how, but what do i know), it
> seems like the wrong approach and would be completely unecessary with
> all distros having near instant packages from upstream due to
> automation. I'm not necessarily opposed to the theoretical, potential
> security benefits of app containerization but minus the dependency
> compat layer, especially if automation of building is not so out of
> reach. Your package sounds interesting and good luck with it, i just
> thought i'd bring up these questions before we throw the baby out with
> the bath water.
>
> thanks,
> ITwrx

You seem to be right at being critical about pure upstream packages.
Customizing packages and taking care of bug reports cannot be done fully
automatically in this way, so that part of app containerization is
perhaps not ideal anyway. This link has recently been posted on the
GNOME gtk-devel list; I think it is relevant here:

http://kmkeen.com/maintainers-matter/2016-06-16-11-31-07-560.html

Either way, this is not what I want pacpak to be.

Regards,
Florian Pelz